Tuscarawas County is located in east-central Ohio, a short distance from several major cities, with highway access to all parts of Ohio and surrounding states. Much of the County is located along the beautiful Tuscarawas River.
Bolivar is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.
In the early 1820's, when the Ohio Canal was surveyed, the center line was on the west side of the river. Consequently, Lawrenceville, on the east, declined and Bolivar Ohio was established in 1825. Before the canal was built, grain had to be hauled to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh by horse and wagon. The shipping costs were greatly reduced via the canal and Bolivar Ohio became a shipping center. Farmers from as far away as Magnolia would bring their grain to Bolivar Ohio for shipment.
Bolivar is home to Fort Laurens, the only American Revolutionary War-era fort in what is now Ohio. The Ohio Historical Society in Bolivar Ohio operates a small museum at the site with exhibits about the frontier soldier, a video about the fort's history and archaeological artifacts from the fort's excavation. The museum is located in a large park that is the used for military reenactments. A crypt in the museum wall contains remains of soldiers who died defending the fort. The site is closed in the winter.
The real estate market in Bolivar Ohio has seen a large growth in new construction homes over the past 20 year, especially in the Wilkshire Hills area. Interested in homes for sale in Bolivar Ohio?
Dennison, OH and Uhrichsville, OH
The twin cities of Dennison and Uhrichsville are nestled in the hills of East Central Ohio midway between Columbus and Pittsburgh
Dennison is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The confluence of coal and railroads drove the development of Dennison. It is conveniently located at the midpoint between Pittsburgh and Columbus -- 100 miles from each. At the time, locomotives needed water every 100 miles, so Dennison was a natural refilling location. The Dennison Coal Company had mines south of town The 1873 station is now renovated into a railroad history museum. It features an N-scale model of the historic rail yard. The village incorporated in 1873, and was named for Governor William Dennison.
Uhrichsville is a city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Claymont City School District is the major education provider for the city of Uhrichsville and for the village of Dennison, Ohio. The Twin cities is a nickname used to describe Uhrichsville and Dennison because they are adjacent to each other and are very similar. Uhrichsville was originally named Waterford but called "Uhrich's Mill" after a mill owned by founder Michael Uhrich.
Uhrichsville is the home to a new aquatic park, the Uhrichsville Water Park, which opened in June 2008. The waterpark is heated and features slides, waterfalls, buckets, and a water jungle-gym.
Claymont Mustangs www.claymont.k12.oh.us/
Dover is a city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. In 1802, two brothers-in-law from Baltimore, Maryland, Christian Deardorff and Jesse Slingluff traveled through the area and so admired the potential quality of the land along the confluence of the Tuscarawas River and Sugarcreek that they bought 2000 acres of land there in 1806 for just over $4,600. The brothers-in-law settled there and laid out what they hoped would become a prosperous town the following year.
In 1842, Dover was incorporated as a village. Dr. Joseph Slingluff served as the first Mayor. After a brief time, the village charter was allowed to lapse and there was no form of village government until 1867, nearly 20 years later. The City of Dover was incorporated on December 6, 1901. Dover remained a milling center for many years. The first steel rolling mill began operation in 1867, later acquired by J.E. Reeves and associates in 1882, becoming the foundation of the Reeves Steel Manufacturing.
Once the only Ohio Canal
stop in the region, Dover
continues to preserve the traditions as well as some important buildings from its heyday in the Victorian Era. Thanks to the efforts of volunteers, you can revisit that era at the J.E. Reeves Home and Museum. Or, enjoy the world-famous carvings of Ernest "Mooney" Warther, tracing a bygone era of impressive rail transportation. Warther Museum
, which is an excellent look at Warther's greatest works, including amazingly intricate locomotives.
Dover Tornadoes www.dover.k12.oh.us/
City of Dover www.doverohio.com
New Philadelphia, OH
New Philadelphia is a city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. 71 miles south of Cleveland on the Tuscarawas River. It was first incorporated in 1808. Coal and clay are found in the vicinity. In the past, mining interests and the manufacturing of steel, canned goods, roofing tile, sewer pipe, bricks, vacuum cleaners, stovepipes, carriages, flour, brooms, and pressed, stamped, and enameled goods occupied the people.
New Philadelphia was based on the design of Philadelphia. The two main streets in the city are High Avenue and Broadway, both of which are in Philadelphia, except that High Avenue has been renamed Market Street in Philadelphia.
Tuscora Park is a municipal park that features a carousel, Ferris wheel, train and other rides, along with miniature golf and batting cages. Tuscora Park was originally built as a project of the Works Progress Administration; original stone work gates, paths and retaining walls still adorn the park. The park is now the home of the Park Place Teen Center, a facility for high school students that provides entertainment of all types. It hosts the annual First Town Days that recall New Philadelphia's history as the first European settlement in Ohio.
Telling the history of New Philadelphia would not be complete without mentioning the Historic Schoenbrunn Village. Schoenbrunn founded in 1772, as a Moravian mission to the Delaware Indians, was the first Christian settlement in Ohio. Although the village prospered for several years, pressures from encroaching settlers and British-aligned Indians forced the abandonment of Schoenbrunn in 1777, shortly after the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. The village, now restored to appear as it did more than two centuries ago, includes the original cemetery and eighteen reconstructed log structures, where costumed interpreters demonstrate period crafts and customs.
Today, New Philadelphia still flourishes as the county seat with new industries settling in the area boosting the economy.
New Philadelphia Quakers www.new-phila.k12.oh.us/
City of New Philadelphia www.newphilaoh.com/
Strasburg is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Strasburg is a prosperous village located at the junction of Route 250 and I-77. An estimated 13,000 vehicles pass through the village each day. A party of Pennsylvania Germans came to Franklin Township in 1810 and settled about a mile from Strasburg's present site on Broad Run. Strasburg is located in the east and central part of Franklin Township, the last township to be formed in the county. Originally, the Strasburg town site embracing 47 lots, ranged on both sides of what today is Wooster Avenue, the north and south highway from Canton to New Philadelphia.
Strasburg is home to Garver Brothers General Store and The Lynn Drive In Theatre. The Garver Brothers established in the late 19th Century what was to become known as the "World's Largest Country Store."It closed in the 1970's and is now the site of an antique market each weekend. The Lynn Auto Theatre is Ohio's oldest drive-in theater and the second oldest continuously running drive-in theater in the world. Construction of "Boyer's Auto Theater," as it was originally known, began in the summer of 1935. The Lynn Auto Theater is now one of the few grass drive-ins left in the world. It can hold 225 vehicles and its operating season is from March through October.
Village of Strasburg www.villageofstrasburg.com
Sugarcreek is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. It is known as "The Little Switzerland of Ohio. Sugarcreek is known for its many tourist attractions which, just to name a few, include the Historical Alpine Hills Museum with its displays that depict the early days of the community and its Swiss and Amish heritage, Sugarcreek had its beginning soon after the Conotton Valley Railroad was built through the Sugar Creek Valley in 1882. A depot was built along the railroad just one mile east of the thriving village of Shanesville in western Tuscarawas County, and a cluster of buildings grew up around the depot. On July 23, 1883, John S. Yoder officially recorded a plat of thirty-one lots in Sugarcreek Township, laid out on nine acres of his lands. The platted area was named "The Town of East Shanesville." The fledgling town continued to grow, in 1888, a post office was opened and given the name of "Sugarcreek" taken from the name of the nearby stream. Shanesville was administratively merged with Sugarcreek in 1969.
Sugarcreek is a unique combination of Old World
charm and modern industry. The Swiss atmosphere of the business section changes to a modern industrial scene in the outskirts of town. Then there is another is another quick change to the horse and buggy era in the Amish farm country surrounding the town.
Village of Sugarcreek www.villageofsugarcreek.com
Garaway Pirates www.garaway.k12.oh.us/